Friday, September 17, 2010

Composition 4100: The next generation

It's great to be back again for another semester and get some of the creative juices flowing again. Being my last year at mun I'm trying to listen, play and create as much music as possible in these last two semesters.
My biggest obstacle, as of yet, is to write fluent non-tonal music. I usually find my note choice to be completely random and not flowing. I tried approaching this assignment by taking a group of chords that are all tonal and manipulating/adding notes to them. Hopefully this approach will help me make more sense of the progressions I'm using.
Having Rob come in definitely opened up some more options for percussion in the piece. I have yet to incorporate percussion in any of my compositions so I'm definitely going to need to spend some more time with him, or another percussionist, to further increase my knowledge on the instrument.

No comments:

Post a Comment